Thursday 16 May 2013

Nail strengthening

As you might have noticed, I love doing my nails. It is a great way to put a smile on your face and a little spring in your step, and spring is the perfect time with all the pastels available and bright colours.

However, constantly painting and stripping your nails can leave them weak, and I was greatful when one of my readers asked me for advice on strengthening her nails, as it is the perfect opportunity to review two products I have been using to strengthen my own.

N.7 Nourishing Nail and Cuticle Care 
&
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails with Nylon


Strengthening
If it's just strengthening you want to do then apply 2/3 layers of Sally Hansen's hard as nails to your nails, allowing each coat to dry before the next. It's a great strengthener which helps strengthen and grow nails, and I saw results within 1-2 weeks. I know it is frustrating, but these things unfortunately take time. My advice would be to apply the coat and what you will see is it shrinks on the nail. Once it has shrunk remove with nail varnish remover and start again! It will build the strength of your nails up. It is available here for £4.75! Bargain, plus it lasts ages, I have had mine over 4 months and there is still loads!
If you want to spend more, OPI also do a great Nail envy strengthener that salons rave about, however I think this does a great job too!





Flaky Nails
I suffered from quite flaky nails after I had gel nails done, as much as I loved them, make sure you find someone you trust to take them off, as the lady I had rushed it and left my nails in a mess. If you have flaky nails, make sure to regularly cut your nails down, and file them. It is a long process but finally my nails are nearly back to normal!


Nail and Cuticle care
As well as using this hardener, it is important not to neglect your cuticles, which is why I suggest N.7's Nourishing Nail and Cuticle Care. Unfortunately this is no longer available in shops as N.7 did this line a few years ago however you can still find it available for £3-£4 online, and believe you me it is worth it. Add a small amount to your cuticle and massage over the whole nail. It leaves your nails smooth and shiny.

Biting Nails
If you want to stop biting your nails my advice is to use the strengthener, as it tastes revolting, or to paint your nails with a nice colour, as it will stop you wanting to bite them, and ruin your colour. Nails always grow best on holiday when you are relaxed and not stressed, so have a break!

I hope this helps Lou! 

3 comments:

  1. Thankyou Lauren this really has helped! I think go and treat myself to a favourite barry M colour today, paint them all nice (even though they are tiny!!) and then i wont want to ruin the colour :) also going to look online for the number 7 stuff!! Thankyou <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Lou, the number 7 stuff is amazing, and it really does help, and yeah definitely treat yourself, it's a break and will help with revision no doubt! :P x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sally Hansen , you can get hold of her strengthening polishes on fragrance direct for dirt cheap at the moment!
    Nice post baby girl

    ReplyDelete